my Creosote bushes

During all of my wanderings around the Great American Desert over the past forty years or so, I have been favorably impressed with one of the most common of the larger desert natives.  It always seemed to me the prettiest of the larger desert native flora. Never even knew its name until after getting "hooked" on it after seeing one of its blooms for the very 
first time upon entering the Death Valley National National Park during one of my series of "25  year revisits" to that beautiful place circa 2005. My photo of that first seen bloom is shown at the right of this page.  Then the following year it seemed that every creosote bush in the desert southwest seemed to be blooming all at once. Beautiful and quite endearing.  There are, of  course, zillions of acres of them throughout the Great American Desert.  Larrea tridenta is one of the most frequently occuring larger plants capable of surviving in the desert.
      During my first picture taking visit to my Little House in the Desert after signing the purchase contract, making an earnest money deposit, and getting the rest of the purchase price moving toward where it needed to be to close the transaction, I noticed that some creosote bushes were going to be part of the deal.  I was delighted.  After I took possession of the house and land, I made a serious effort to learn more about them.
      The whirled wide wubb is an unpredictable place for information gathering. On the positive side, it was searching for information about the reality of an "antibiotic" prescribed by an attempted murderer in the Reno dentifraud and posthumous spouse busymess which disclosed what that potentially lethal faggot designer drug for causing chemical sodomization and "patient death" actually was. The stuff is so severely dangerous that it can cause internal bleeding and "patient death" even when used as an externally applied ointment. Saved my life is what the whirled wide wubb did in that situation because it allowed me to access genuine information about the fraudulent "antibiotic" that the criminal thug attempted murderer had prescribed all the while the local pharmacy that filled that criminally intended prescription was shining me on with bogus warning labels that pretended it was no different from any genuine antibiotic. (I had probable cause to do the web search based on other wrongful behaviors of the criminal thug's murderous dentifraud office.  It wasn't a situation of pure dumb luck nor automatic verification of drugs prescribed by unknown state licensed practitioners of "health services".  The fortunate aspect was that I was familiar with pharmacopeias available on the web and recognized the need to go see them.)
      On the negative side, my searches for information about the care and feeding of creosote bushes resulted in a child's garden of misinformation and misdirection. For example, the web sources I found about transplanting creosote bushes accurately indicated that it was difficult if not improbable to accomplish. But at the same time they described the creosote as having "a" tap root, as in *one* such thing.  Pshaw! and Balderdash! Larrea tridentata doesn't have *one* tap root.  It has a whole system of them going off in all directions for quite amazing distances from the original plant, beginning about 12-15 inches below the soil surface where the creosote bush is growing.  In any event, here is some of the information that I did get from my web search about creosote bushes:


Larrea tridentata (creosote bush) is a flowering plant in the family Zygophyllaceae. It is a prominent species in the Mojave, Sonoran, and Chihuahuan Deserts of western North America, including portions of California, Arizona, Nevada, Utah, New Mexico and western Texas in the United States, and northern Chihuahua in Mexico. It is closely related to the South American Larrea divaricata, and was formerly treated as the same species.

It is an evergreen shrub growing to 1-3 m tall, rarely 4 m.  In my usual terms that is 3 feet to 10 feet rarely 13 feet tall that the author was talking about. I have, however, seen one unique creosote plant in The Living Desert, Palm Desert CA, which appeared to me to be at least 20 feet tall.   Its photo appears at right.  The stems of the plant bear resinous, dark green leaves with two leaflets joined at the base, each leaflet 7-18 mm long [that's 0.27 to 0.71 inches long] and 4-8.5 mm broad [0.16 to 0.33 inches]. The flowers are up to 25 mm diameter [one full inch], with five yellow petals.  The whole plant exhibits a characteristic odor of creosote, from which the common name derives.

Creosote bush is most common on the well-drained soils of bajadas and flats. In parts of its range, it may cover large areas in practically pure stands, though it usually occurs in association with Ambrosia dumosa (burrow bush or bur-sage). Despite this common habitat, creosote bush roots have been found to produce chemicals that inhibit the growth of burrow bush roots, and much of their relationship is currently unexplained.

Such chemicals, however, have failed to explain the peculiar regularity in the spacing of individual plants within a stand. Creosote bush stands tend to resemble man-made orchards in the even placement of plants. Originally, it was assumed that the plant produced some sort of water-soluble inhibitor that prevented the growth of other bushes near mature, healthy bushes. Now, however, it has been shown that the root systems of mature creosote plants are simply so efficient at absorbing water that fallen seeds nearby cannot accumulate enough water to germinate, effectively creating dead zones around every plant. It also seems that all plants within a stand grow at approximately the same rate, and that the creosote bush is a very long-living plant. As the Creosote Bush grows older, its oldest branches eventually die and its crown splits into separate crowns. This normally happens when the plant is 30 to 90 years old. Eventually the old crown dies and the new one becomes a clone of the previous plant, composed of many separate stem crowns all from the same seed. One creosote plant, named "King Clone", near Lucerne Valley has been carbon dated to 11,700 years old.

Contributing to the harshness of the germination environment above mature root systems, young creosote bushes are much more susceptible to drought stress than established plants.  Germination is actually quite active during wet periods, but most of the young plants die very quickly unless there are optimal water conditions.  Ground heat compounds the young plants' susceptibility to water stress, and ground temperatures can reach upwards of 70° C (160° F). To become established, it seems the young plant must experience a pattern of three to five years of abnormally cool and moist weather during and after germination.  From this, it can be inferred that all the plants inside a stand are of equal age.

Mature plants, however, can tolerate extreme drought stress. In terms of negative water potential, creosote bushes can operate fully at -50 bars of water potential and have been found living down to -120 bars, although the practical average floor is around -70 bars, where the plant's need for cellular respiration generally exceeds the level that the water-requiring process of photosynthesis can provide. Cell division can occur during these times of water stress, and it is common for new cells to quickly absorb water after rainfall. This rapid uptake causes branches to 'grow' several centimeters at the end of a dry season.  The small leaves of the creosote bush have a high surface-volume ratio, optimizing the rate at which heat escapes and water content is retained. Water loss is further decreased by the resinous, waxy coating of the leaves. Plants do drop some leaves heading into summer, but if all leaves are lost, the plant will not recover.

Accumulation of fallen leaves, as well as other detritus caught from the passing wind, creates an ecological community specific to the creosote bush canopy, including beetles, millipedes, pocket mice, and kangaroo rats.  Creosote bush commonly forms clonal colonies, which may be very long-lived; a ring of creosote bushes in the Mojave Desert is believed to be at least 12,000 years old.

The photo at left is of one of my medium sized tridentatas during the blooming season in Spring 2008.  I have more spectacular photos of creosote bushes and blooms taken various places around Death Valley National Park and in the Mojave National Preserve.  This guy is special to me because he is one of those growing on my own land.


Victor Valley College has a project underway to help Borax (a mining company)  reclaim land near its primary mine in Boron CA.  Contact is Neville Slade, Chairman of the Agriculture and Natural Resources Department at the college.  They might have some useful information despite the typical closure of information sharing beyond clients by paid academic projects.  There is also an apparently domesticated hedgerow of creosote bushes that I noticed the last time I visited Calico Ghost Town at one house along Ghost Town Road indicating that the owner knows enough about creosotes to persuade them to grow in plethora in a proximity which is most unusual for Larrea tridentata.

From many previous visits to the Living Desert Reserve in Palm Desert CA, I knew that they had the largest creosote bush that I've ever seen anywhere, as shown in the second photo above.  I figured I could do a lot worse than to get the advice of their gardening people on how to take care of my prospective creosote bushes. Perhaps even be able to purchase some additional creosote bushes for planting (although that part of the notion didn't work out on any near term basis; they had some for sale but too small and too expensive--and some other complications that I didn't even know about at the time). So I took a special day trip down to The Living Desert on a "day off" during the time period between initial contract and final closing of my Little House purchase to pick the brains of their plant experts. While I was there, I was shown some reference books they had in the plant shop which talked briefly about the watering and feeding of Larrea tridentata (creosote bushes) and listened to the clerk who showed me the books.  I was advised to water them twice a week, one heavy soaking and one lighter watering, making sure that the related soil was well drained so there wouldn't be any long term accumulations of water around them (my land is quite well drained soil).  I was also advised to feed them with either a commercial grade fertilizer or with animal manure but would need to look further into what the optimum feeding patterns might be.  Actual experience suggests that I was not well advised on that trip to visit the plant shop.

Propagation    Propagation Material: Seeds
      Description: Seeds germinate slowly. Hulling dramatically improves germination. Sow seeds in a warm well-drained dark place. This species is difficult to root from cuttings.
      Seed Collection: Collect ripe fruits in late spring through summer by stripping the plants. Air dry and fumigate the fruits before storage.
      Seed Treatment: Scarification of the hard seed coat induces germination. Soak in distilled water overnight.
      Commercially Available: yes [well, not really according to my attempts thus far to find creosote bushes, but we shall see]

Recipe for Creosote Tea (made from Larrea tridentata):  Place a sprig of creosote leaves and flowers in a cup.  Add boiling water, cover and steep 5 to 10 minutes (depending on strength desired), then strain.  You may want to sweeten this strong, aromatic tea with honey.
      Creosote bush is the dominant shrub over most of the southwestern deserts.  California's Cahuilla Indians brewed creosote tea to relieve coughs, colds, flu, infections and bowel complaints.  They also covered their heads with a blanket and inhaled the steam of creosote leaves in a boiling pot of water to relieve congestion.
      Too much of a good thing can be lethal, as demonstrated by water, an essential for all life, which in excess can cause death by drowning.  The active ingredient in creosote tea (NDGA, nor- dihyrdo guayaretic acid) was taken off the Generally Regarded As Safe (GRAS) list by the FDA because it caused liver and kidney disease in laboratory animals.  There is considerable basis for concern about creosote bush in concentrated pill or tablet form.  Drinking a tea made from creosote bush has not been demonstrated unsafe, only consumption in quantity of the ground/prepared solids.
      I tried this recipe and found the tea too bitter to tolerate.  Adding sweetener of any kind to tea is not something I care to do so that was the end of it at that time.  My respect for living things may have had something to do with the bitterness of the tea that I brewed.  I didn't use live sprigs of leaves and flowers as the recipe could be interpreted to require.  Instead it was only after my "dining table decoration" described below, in re a transplant effort, was shedding its dried up *dead* leaves that I gathered them up for my creosote tea jar. 
      On 080111, I attempted what the sources had said was unlikely of success.  There had been one creosote bush that had been bothering me for quite some time in relation to my Little House in the Desert (within the context of my not quite two months of ownership of the place).  It wa a creosote growing directly into the fence around my place with most of its underlying roots in my land, even a bunch of its upper growth coming *through* my fence, and considering that my actual land extends at least a little on the outside of that fence, it may even have been entirely on my land, just awkwardly positioned *in* the chain link fencing.  It had been there a week or so longer than it would have been otherwise because all of the readings I've done about creosotes were quite discouraging about transplant success prospects.
      Along with the fact that the plant was mostly on my land anyway, it had been a major trash catcher.  When the wind 
blows, it nabbed some major quantities of trash and held them immediately next to my fence from its position thirty feet or so directly across from my front door.  Unsightly and not even easy to keep cleaned up because it is quite a distance out the front of my chain link fenced area and around to where the plant was growing.
      So I up and decide when I got home from my errands about 3:15pm that Friday is moving day for that one plant, 
even if I really don't know wtf I'm doing and have been majorly discouraged by what I've been reading on the web about 
transplanting creosotes.  Found out quickly enough what the real problem is, although not a soul on the whirled wide 
wubb mentioned the reality but instead spoke of the importance of "the" tap root.  Preposterous misdirecting way of 
describing a creosote.
      There isn't "a" tap root.  The central part of the plant is pretty much complete within less than the first 12 inches 
down into the ground.  But down about 12-15 inches from the original ground level there is a whole freaking *system* of 
tap roots, major root structures, going out in all directions from the central core which discontinued several inches 
above them.  Many of them.  I wound up not having a clue how much distance those tap rootS! actually travel beyond 
the central structure that shows above the ground but, near as I can tell, it is a very considerable distance.
      The reality made the original hole that I dug in the hard gravel that I found in the area where I wanted that plant to 
grow look pathetically small, only about the size of a standard water bucket.  I predug that hole based on seeing the 
small creosotes for sale for large prices ($22 each) at The Living Desert plant shop when I went down there to pick their brains about how to encourage creosotes to grow.  Having now seen the reality of how creosotes maintain themselves, I have "doubts" about how those small plastic container grown creosotes would do being transplanted into the real world.  But in any event, the reality of digging up the fence-snarled creosote did make clear that creosote rather likes a nicer topsoil for its home than the gravel that I've got.  So what I wound up doing after digging out as much and many of the tap roots as I could (pathetically small compared to their total size, I have to suspect based on what I did see) was doubling the size of my original hole in the ground and swapping dirt between my hole in the ground and the original home next to the fence where the creosote had been.
      I wasn't optimistic, especially not with the discomfitting info on the web, my now comprehension of the real structure 
of the creosote plant that was nowhere near adequately described in wubbland, and the gravelly soil that I found in my 
desired location a fair distance from my back fence.  But I wasn't willing to leave the plant's roots naked in the near freezing cold Friday night, so having doubled the width of the original pathetic size of the hole in the ground, totally in the dark because this whole thing took a lot longer than I thought it was going to and there aren't any light sources near the back of my land, I fitted the plant into its new location and did what I could to get it upright while I filled the hole and covered its roots with soil from its original fence straddling location.  When I left the plant Friday night, I thought I was going to have to gather some dirt from elsewhere around the area where I wanted the plant, to build up its berm somewhat to protect the probably too near the surface fractured in every direction root system that I moved from its fence straddle.  Considering that I did the transplant aspect of this project totally in the dark hundreds of feet from even a faint light source on a moonless night (New Moon) without being able to see at all what I was doing, I originally thought it came out rather well.
      At best I could only be hopeful that my pretty little transplanted creosote bush might survive having been transplanted and that it would find a way to prosper in its new location.  The advantage of the new location that *I* saw, well spaced from the corner of the back fence, was that I could now water and feed it as part of my then established regular twice weekly process of caring for my creosotes.  Turned out that the pretty little plant didn't like what the experts at the Living Desert plant shop told me about feeding him.  Hated the fertilizer, didn't care all that much about being watered, and very quickly began dying a little bit at a time.  The warnings on the web about transplant "difficulties" proved all too true.  Incidentally his older and entirely established peers also informed me that *they* didn't like the fertilizer that had been recommended by the "experts" at the plant shop.  Perhaps it requires a person who is at least a little psychic even to try to listen to what plants have to say about what they like/dislike, but in any event that was my conclusion during the since discontinued feeding efforts for the long established peers of the pretty little plant that died after being transplanted.
      An additional experiment run from the same beginning point also failed.  There had been a two foot twin branched 
section of the plant, hopelessly tangled in the chain link fence, intertwined through one link and back out the next, 
which couldn't be extracted with the main part of the plant during the moving process.  It sat for awhile on my dining 
area table in a bud vase with water in the fantasy hope that it might figure out how to grow some roots.  The only basis 
for that hope was that there are a couple of little creosotes growing in one part of the creosote area on my land which 
"look like" they were started from cuttings by the previous owner.  For sure if any roots had started to develop, that 
previously inextricably intertwined "dining table decoration" was going to find a place in the young creosote nursery.  No 
such luck.  It too proceeded to wither away over a period of time.
      This exercise was entirely a matter of trying to relocate a plant that I didn't want to leave where he was.  Yet I did get some information about the notion of "creosote tea" as a side effect of the effort, along with serious contradiction asserted by the plants themselves about the "expert" opinions which suggested fertilizing creosote bushes.  Perhaps at some distant future time, if and when I have a genuine surplus of live creosotes and feel the need to prune living parts of them (at present I prune only dead branches), I may try brewing creosote tea again.


080104  My creosote bushes had a special treat for me today.  We're heading into what the weather reports say is going to be some significant rainfall and there is a brisk coolish breeze blowing through the desert this afternoon.  I got the urge to take an afternoon walk around my land and to visit my creosotes.  The talk about creosotes (real name Larrea tridentata) is that they got their common name because "after a rain" they have a unique aroma similar to the chemical substance called "creosote", a transparent oily liquid with a pungent odor, obtained by distillation of wood tar or coal tar and used as an antiseptic or as a prservative for wood.  Well, the rain isn't scheduled until manyana and my last watering of them was back on Tuesday three days ago.  But as I walked past I noticed a very pleasant fragrance coming from the prominent creosote bushes, much milder than the overwhelming odor from pine needles but full and rich for the nostrils.

080415  I'm so happy with my guys of the Larrea tridentata persuasion. They've been growing lotsa lotsa buds which started a day or so ago to bloom.   This is on my land with my creosote bushes who have been provided with my waterings. Not some government land nor government owned plants producing blooms but my very own creosote blooms. It is a further happiness beyond finding that I would have some creosote bushes just after I contracted to buy my little house in the desert.

080704  My creosote bushes are an ongoing source of inspiration to me.  I frequently take walks among them at night and sometimes during the day when I have a few minutes for a walk.  When the weather in the Mojave Desert gets blisteringly hot (officially 32 days per year over 100 degrees Fahrenheit but many more than that during summer 2008), creosotes go into a defensive nongrowing mode to conserve water.  They exude a waxy substance on their leaves which inhibits water loss to evaporation.  They taste "bad enough" to wildlife predators such as rabbits that they don't get eaten even when food supplies are absent.  They grow deep and widespread root systems to gather water and nourishment.  When the ferocious desert winds blow, their branches bend with the wind but do not break.  They are capable of going through *years* of drought without dying.  Only when conditions are right in their experience will they grow more branches and leaves.  As a result they tend to live many hundreds of years as individuals and one ring of creosote bushes in the desert is said to be over 12,000 years old.  Models of sustainability.  Notice the key concepts in how the creosotes sustain themselves:  conservation of scarce resources, opportunistic growth and development patterns, effective defenses against environmental and predatory enemies.

090814  For all my good intentions to encourage my creosotes to grow as tall and full as they might be capable, according to the directions I got from the Plant Shop at the Living Desert, my own physical limitations have interfered.  Each Spring I managed for awhile to do the twice weekly waterings.  That involved lugging a 225 foot length of garden hose from the spigot on the side of the house out to where the creosotes are growing.  My crippled wrists and arthritic joints objected every time.  The result was that I tended to slack off as the year progressed.  I was even making excuses to myself that I didn't want to be watering when they had gone beyond blooming and developed their fruits (furry looking seeds).  Complicating the matter further, the wind was frequently blowing when I got a round tuit and there was some question about what percentage of the water that I was throwing at them with the garden hose was actually reaching the creosote bushes.
      My efforts to start a small arboretum in March 2009 in the general area of the creosote bushes complicated the situation still further.  The ten twigs that I got from the Arbor Day Foundation to plant in that area all died as a result of my practical difficulties hauling that garden hose out to water them.  The creosote bushes are remarkably drought tolerant but those young twigs weren't at all.  Although my Apricot Orchard Row and intended Defined Garden Area were the primary motivators for the Drip Watering System  that I struggled through the process of constructing during the Spring and Summer of 2009, the creosote bushes and little arboretum were also on my mind.  The result was an irrigation control box placed in their area with a lengthy underground PVC line to the main incoming water source at the other end of my land.
      Today I installed and did a water pressure test on the first portion of a drip watering line from that control box over to the first group of the creosote bushes.  The photo above right shows the pair of emitters, that I installed in that drip tubing, watering the closest to the control box of my creosote bushes.  There is a lot more drip tubing to be laid in and a lot more emitters needing to be inserted into that tubing.  But I feel good about having gotten this far towards my objective of providing my lovely tridentatas with the water that is useful for them even if they can survive for very long periods of time under drought conditions.

090910  I didn't really plan it that way.  Competing priorities made most of the choices involved.  But what I wound up 
with was a "control group" of two of my creosote bushes that didn't yet have emitters installed for them while everybody else has not only the tubing laid in but emitters in place so that they get watered.  There was a substantial difference in coloring and healthy appearance between them even though photos were not all that good at showing the difference.
      What happened as I was laying in the drip lines for my creosote bushes was that I would do brief test runs of sending water through the tubing that I had gotten installed to make sure I didn't have any major leaks.  Probably three or four brief waterings involved for the bushes that got emitters installed promptly.  Since then, there have only been four full hour waterings for the entire area covered by my Creosote Drip Lines.
      Meanwhile I got distracted by wanting to complete the underground PVC system beneath my driveway for the Defined Garden Area and for my lone surviving Crape Myrtle from the eleven Arbor Day twigs that I tried to plant in the Spring before I had any reliable way of getting water to any of them.  Got that sort of completed (albeit with long run questions about the slaphazard manner in which the drunk workman completed the gluing and backfilling) but didn't get a round tuit for installing the drip emitters for that one "control group" of creosote bushes that didn't have any yet until Tuesday September 8.
      The bushes on the south had drip tubing laid in but no emitters providing water to them.  They were heat and drought 
impaired to a dull brownish and sparsely leafed appearance.  The bushes on the north had the proper number of functioning emitters which had been watering them ever since the earliest part of my testing during the installation of the Creosote Drip Line tubing.  They were a healthy and lively green.  Unintended as this "control group" situation was, something it does for me is to assure me that there really was a point and purpose to having run that long underground PVC line out to my creosote bushes and to the tedious process of installing drip tubing and emitters.  In any event, in the morning 090911 the "control group" had emitters installed so as to join its peers in receiving a proper supply of water.

090917  Watching my creosote bushes thriving on their new drip watering system, even growing late season buds and 
blooms and looking healthier than I've ever seen them before, I realized the error of my own earlier waterings with the 
garden hose.  Nearly a third of my garden hose water was directed at their upper branches and leaves.  Made for a 
wonderful aroma for me to smell and enjoy while I was watering.  Larrea tridentata really does generate a lovely aroma 
"after a rain" whether from natural sky sources or garden hose provided water.  But without realizing it, what I was doing 
was washing off of their leaves and branches some natural defenses they have against heat and drought.
      With the drip watering system, every drop is being delivered close to their root systems.  That's how I arranged the 
emitters in the drip tubing that I installed.  None of it is being sprayed onto anything and virtually all of it is soaking into 
the ground around their root systems within moments.  When the ambient air temperature isn't too hot, I can still smell 
the lovely aroma of creosote bushes by standing close to the bushes.  But the fact of the matter is, they're doing a 
whole bunch better without any leaf and branch watering, with all of the water going directly to the area of their root 


A long term demonstration of the impact of watering is shown in the pair of photos below.  The photo at left was recorded 071216, shortly after I bought my Little House and its related creosote bushes.  The very same group of plants, minus the weedy growths that were also in that area, is shown in the photo at right recorded 110820 after about two years of proper watering via the installed drip lines.  It demonstrates the success of a primary objective of mine when I bought my Little House:   I wanted to encourage my creosotes to grow as tall and strong as they might be capable.  This was not to suggest that they couldn't live happy healthy lives without me.  They can and do.  They are among the hardiest of the desert environment survivors.  But if there was anything I could do to facilitate them in their growth and development, I wanted to do it.

On the matter of growing more creosotes on my land I had been having no luck at all finding garden shops that have any.  I now 
know that they quite genuinely can't be successfully transplanted.  I did gather up and properly dried a material number of seeds (referred to as "fruits" in the early descriptions) after the blooms of 2008 proceeded into their puffy white seed formation stage of development.  But I never did figure out how to arrange the apparently special conditions that creosote seed needs in order to germinate and develop.  Yet two of the largest creosotes on my original land, the ones that I refer to as Papa and Mama Creosote, partly solved that problem for me.  Some of their seed landed inside the hardware cloth tree ring circle that I created to protect one of my failed Arbor Day twigs from the rampaging rabbits.  The area was well watered in expectation that the twig that didn't might grow.  The clever little creosote shown in the photo at right recorded 120202 chose that well watered environment to grow immediately next to the failed twig.  At this writing in February 2013, he has grown to 23.5" tall by as much as 30" wide.  Some less clever seeds attempted to grow in places that were not appropriate (such as immediately next to one of my cherry trees), couldn't be transplanted to more appropriate locations, and didn't survive.  But this clever little guy chose a location where I really wanted a nice plant to be growing and is now a permanent part of the arboreal aspects of the original pile of dirt that came with my Little House.

Last but certainly not least of my Larrea tridentata companions is Grandpa Creosote.  He has been estimated to be more than 500 years old.  I admired him from afar for the first three years I was working on my place in the desert as a neighboring delight located unfavorably on a disastrously trashed piece of land next door to my original pile of dirt.  After two years of effort to negotiate purchase of that disaster area from the series of surreal estate flipping gamblers who owned it and were rigging the price higher and higher with each transfer from one of them to the next, I finally got possession of that pile of dirt on 101115.  The sign next to Grandpa Creosote advises that it is now the entrance to Bob's Little Arboretum, Private Property, No Trespassing.  Numerous additional trees, bushes, and shrubs, such as those shown on the front page of  my photos web site  have joined Grandpa in beautifying my environment and the surrounding neighborhood.  I have yet to count the number of other creosotes which grace that surrounding land, but it is a primary creosote habitat and I am carefully preserving nearly all of the original creosote population as I develop other aspects.  Grandpa doesn't have a drip line providing him with water but is in direct line of the flood channel I built at the front of my piles of dirt that endeavors to guide the runoff from an entire uphill subdivision entering my land, because it is being funnelled against my property by the stupidly designed road system, "less destructively" out into the Arboretum.

 [Comments to Webmaster]      [back to top of page]      [back to Bob's Central Blogging Site]